Here’s a great tip for you.
#Author’sCorner #SocialMediaMonday #Tip
Transitions are used to:
- Change time
- Change location
- Change character viewpoint
- To skip unimportant time periods or events
So how do you use transitions skilfully?
- Start a new chapter – this easily lets your reader know the narrative has moved on
- If you’re changing scene/time/viewpoint within a chapter use a physical sign like ***** centred on the page, or double space and then don’t indent the first line of your next paragraph.
- Keep it short and simple – ‘that night’, ‘the next day’.
- Jump right in – rather than say: ‘When Linda arrived at the coffee shop the next morning’ go for ‘Linda slid into the booth and took a sip of her latte’. We know where and when Linda is straight away.